Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Tuesday 29 May 2007

1:57:41

Indeed, it took me less than two hours. And if I correct the official time for the three-minutes wait before I could cross the finish line due to the runners jam, I've even made my target of 1h55. Reason enough for happiness, no?

Well, no, not completely. I started too fast and then could not keep up the pace in the second half of the race. At 12k I developed a serious pain high up in my right leg. Between 14 and 16k I had to walk bits.

With a better build-up, I could have finished more comfortably and faster. And I should have seen it coming.

I've also learned that in the coming months I need to do many training runs of two hours or over. It still feels like 20k is way too far for me. But if I want to run a marathon in October, I need to have no difficulty with a half marathon by August.

Sebas has now left. He found out that there is a 10k race in Ermelo, where my mother lives, on 1 September. The plan is now to get several family members to participate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yeah....ik ben trots op je jongen...echt waar!.Volgend jaar als ik gezellig mee ga doen in Brussel ga je mooi voor de 1 uur 50 min..Gebruik je mij maar als haas :)