Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Thursday 10 May 2007

REMARKABLE RUN

Today's lunchtime 6k was memorable for a number of reasons. First, it marked the moment when I exceeded a total of 500 kilometers since January 1st. Second, I improved my track record on the "big office loop" by almost 2 minutes, signalling amazing progress on speed. Third, and connected with this: I took on average less than five minutes per kilometer.

In the greater scheme of things, this means little. For me it means much. No longer is my long-distance speed more than two times slower than that of world champions. This kind of speed should allow me to finish in the top half of the table at many recreational runs.

But the difference with the ever-so-recent past can be expressed in even starker terms: no longer do I feel as if I am trying to get there I now truly feel that I am running.

And I enjoy it to the max.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a great story. I am following with interest from Canberra...

Erwin said...

Thanks, sister. At the moment I'm running with my nephew, Sebas. I'm pushing him to do a 5k race this Sunday. I'll then do a 10k on the same track and try - if conditions are right - to improve my 10k best from 58+ minutes to something close to... 52? 53?

Are you doing any sports at the moment?

Unknown said...

Sports? I wish I could ride my mountain bike but nope, I am trying not to jar any important parts of my body right now...