Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Thursday 17 May 2007

RUNNING WITH SEBAS

My nephew Sebastiaan came over on Friday; he'll be staying for a couple of weeks and wants to run. Sebas use to run a fair bit but that was over a year ago, so we more or less started from scratch. And with good results.

On Saturday we set out to run 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 minutes consecutively, with 2 minutes walking intervals. We ended up including an extra 4 and 3 minutes. On Sunday, Sebas ran a full round in the park (about 1.8 kilometers).

When I got back from Athens on Tuesday, we did another interval run, this time with the sequence of 7+6+5+4+3+2+1 minutes. I pushed Sebas a bit by speeding up occasionally, and he cold only just keep his food in towards the end. But he completed this tough assignment. Yesterday, he did two full Park laps, about 3.6 kilometers.

So we've decided not to waste time (or let any grass grow over it, as we Dutch would say). This Sunday, Sebas will compete in a 5k race in Ninove, half an hour from here. I'll do a 10k in the same town, hoping to bring down my personal best from a bit over 58 minutes to under 54. It'll be a good challenge for the both of us.

Meanwhile, the Brussels 20k is only ten days away. So I set out alone this morning, went down to the city, around the city centre and up to our house again. Took me about an hour.

And tomorrow's training (with Sebas) will be 15+10+5 minutes, followed by a day off on Saturday.

No comments: