Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Sunday 31 May 2009

A MISS

Today is the 20k, the famous 20k of Brussels which I've run for five consecutive years. Even though I'm registered I won't be there this year. Things at work (mainly, two abduction sagas and a trip to Pakistan) have made me miss almost two months of training. Trying last week to do 20k in a very slow pace and finding myself unable to continue after 13k, I decided I have to give the big race a miss this year. I feel sad about it, but I know the decision is the right one.

Instead, I will probably sign up for the Brussels half marathon in September. It's held for 95% on the same circuit, and as a bonus has a finish in the historic city centre. But it lacks the standing and atmosphere of today's run.

In the meantime, the idea is to train three times a week (two of which should be 10k or longer). And do a series of races varying in length between 10 kilometers and 10 miles.

No comments: