Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Tuesday 30 January 2007

GETTING BACK ON TRACK

Weight: 79 kilos
Time spent running since 15 November: 29 hours 24 minutes
Distance run since 15 November: 281.2 kilometers
Time left: 11 weeks

Bit by bit it becomes clear that my training goals (100 hours / 900 kilometers) are way too ambitious. All the more so since my trip to Malaysia brought my running to an almost complete standstill, and I have a fair bit of trouble since to pick it up again.

But I'm getting there. Sunday was okay with a two-hours run in the forest to the east of Brussels' city centre. Yet, I did not make my training target of 170 minutes, partly because I got complete lost on dirt tracks among the trees and found myself, after 124 minutes on my Polar watch, ankle deep in the mud with no indication of which direction my car could be. I managed to find it back half an hour later.

Had a nice beat on my iPod. I found this PodRunner site that offers one-hours downloads of music mixes in which the beats per minute are constant. I ran with 135 bpm, which was slightly too slow but still helped me get into the mythical Zone for at least 40 minutes or so. It made the pain of the effort more bearable.

Back home, many of my muscles hurt badly, particularly in my lower back, upper legs and ankles. And, for the first time with my Asics trainers, I had grown a blister on the inside of my foot.

Two bits of good news though. One is that proof of my registration for the Rotterdam marathon arrived in the mail. I seem to be number 7830 (if on April 15 you watch the marathon, try to spot me. It may be tough though as I guess the cameras and race officials and most spectators will have long left by the time I come stumbling towards the finish line). The other bit of good news is that Vincent has signed up as well. He is faster than me, but at the very least we'll be able to share our stories of heroic pain with someone who understands.

No comments: