Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Friday 23 September 2011

Four steps forward, one step back

Between now and late February, I will measure my progress by how long I can run comfortably by the end of each week (mostly on Sundays). Each week I increase my target with ten minutes, starting with thirty minutes this week (done that twice already), but after each four weeks of cumulation I go ten minutes back instead of forward. With that rhythm, I will be doing 150 minutes (25 kilometers) two weeks before the Barcelona race, giving me the little bit of extra capacity I will need for finishing comfortably (and preferably in under two hours).

The ideal training week includes three runs, of which one increasingly long, one foorball practice session and one football match. In reality, I will drop bits almost every week to accomodate family life and work commitments.

But at least the spirit is back, thanks to my wonderful nephew Sebastiaan.

2 comments:

Maryanne Sensei said...

After reading your recent post, I started to think that maybe I could do it, too. Perhaps I could run a marathon... but I have two questions..... how did you get started? What steps did you take in the beginning?
Running sounds so hard (and tiring)... any advice?

Erwin said...

@Mama Bear: Running IS hard and tiring. That's why you have to build it up wit small steps. If you have not done any running yet, start with a 5k schedule; they are everywhere nowadays. If you train three times a week for 30-40 minutes, you'll easily master 5k after 12 weeks. Then go to a 10k schedule. Once you are comfortable with that, then it's time to dream further.

Tips:
- Run with an iPod with your favorite music. As first, the different rhythms may seem to influence (unsettle) your running pace, but later on it won't and then the music will take your thoughts away from the hard work.
- Alternatively, try to fid some running buddies. A small group of max 5 people who all have similar ambition or targets is very helpful. Try to have conversations while you are run.
- If you are only just starting, forget about a marathon. That should only become a thought after a year of regular training, once you can survive a half marathon.

If you take it easy, running will become very gratifying. It will even be fun at times... :-)