Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Wednesday 4 August 2010

Okay

With 00:31:38, I finished in the first half of the field during the Kortenberg 6k. So that was good.

I'm now in Nairobi, trying to run every morning in the super hilly botanic garden across the road from where I'm staying. But the high altitude (1700m) leaves me with little air to breathe. I'm not getting far. Today was slightly better than yesterday, but I seriously notice the estimated 10 per cent decrease in oxygen intake. Hopefully, I will benefit from my high-altitude training when I am back in the low lands of Belgium.

Next target is the 5k in Zaventem, and with the good result on Sunday I am going to aim for an ambitious time: below 25 minutes. I know the area well; if the weather is half okay (not too much wind please in the open fields along the airport) that goal may well be realistic.

No comments: