Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Sunday 15 April 2007

NOT

The title of this blog stays.

Just my luck: today was the hottest April day on record in the Netherlands. They measures 28.7 celsius in the home town of the Meteorological Society, De Bilt. Beat the previous high by almost a full degree.

Running (and sometimes walking) along two-thirds of the track, I found no shade from the ruthless sun.

The race organisers were smart and brave enough to stop the marathon after a bit over three hours. There's a point in the circuit, at about 28k, where you are very close to the finish. From this point, they now led all runners traffic straight to the recovery area after the finish line. I got there at 3:13.

So now I still do not know whether I can do a full marathon. Need to think a bit. It's tempting to schedule another attempt in autumn (Amsterdam or Brussels).

Pity, though. Been training for it, off and on, for five months.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Wow, am so sorry to hear about your disappointment! We heard about the cancellation yesterday evening when Michiel was streaming Het Journaal and I thought about you immediately!

Hope the weather gods cooperate a little bit better for you next time...

Erwin said...

Thanks, Betsy! Yeah, it was rather disappointing, but you cannot fault the organisers' decision. Pure hell it was.

After 7k there was one of those electronic time / temperture displays. It read... 32 degrees! A runner close to me said, "Sure, but that thing is in the sun and temperatures are measured in the shade." I could not help but bark at him, "Hey, we're in the sun too, and we have been for the past forty five minutes."

I'm okay with it now (contrary to my upper legs; I have to descend stairs slowly and backwards). And I'm determined that I will have my marathon.