Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Monday 16 April 2007

THE MADNESS CONTINUES

Apparently close to half of the runners did not finish yesterday's marathon in Rotterdam. I may not have been in good company, but I was in a crowd. Some other telling statistics: 125 people were put on drips along the track, 30 were hospitalised - runners and spectators - for hyperthermia and heart problems. Reanimation was necessary in two cases.

People like me would still have had to run / walk for over two hours after the race was "neutralised". Eventhough the last bit was more shaded, it would have meant a much higher number of victims.

One thing that many runners do not appreciate is the starting time. Rotterdam starts at 11am, whereas most other big marathons begin earlier, thus avoiding the hottest part of the day. Much be commercial reasons; revenues from live TV take priority over the health of competitors.

It was really sickening to see the organiser on TV claim that there was, contrary to what people say, no shortage of water at the drinking stations. Get real and face up, Mr Organiser! I was there running and the first station, after 5k with no shade, was completely dry. Not a drop. Believe me, we searched every corner of the stalls. At all following stations there were buckets of water, but no clean cups or sponges. I was forced, like thousands of others, to pick up dirty cups and drinks from them.

So that was it, then.

But wait a sec... Are you kidding? I just registered for the Amsterdam marathon, on 21 oktober. Hopefully the weather will be kinder, and at least I'll be able to train for higher temperatures.

I can't just give up, can I? Moreover, Amsterdam is what feels closest to a home town for me. I've never been a fan of Rotterdam anyway.

After the 20k of Brussels, on 27 May, I will start working on a training routine that'll get me through my second attempt in better shape. Again, there'll be almost five months to prepare. And that's on top of what I built up for Rotterdam already.

No comments: