Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Sunday 18 March 2007

GOING, GOING...

Weight: 77 kilos
Time spent running since 15 November: 54 hours 55 minutes
Distance run since 15 November: 501.3 kilometers
Time left: 28 days

The 500+ kilometers I've done since starting my training for the marathon show my dedication. But they hide the fact that I've never been able to run further than about 20 kilometers in one go. The My Asics site, where I have a personalised training schedule, prescribes my longest run for today: 32 kilometers. Instead, I did only 5.5, and that at a leisurely pace. Yesterday's football match (a 10-2 win!) was still very present in my leg and back muscles.

This means that I have no idea how well or badly trained I am. In a week from now I should find out. The 25k from Wavre to Auderghem will push my maximum distance a bit further, on a course that includes long stretches of rolling hills. The first 9 kilometers go down to the lovely Genval lake and should be a breeze. But from there on the track goes more up than down while my energy level will move in opposite direction. I'll be very glad when I see the town hall of Auderghem.

So here's the idea. Take it easy this week (only short lunch runs on Tuesday and Thursday), skip football on Saturday, and then try to complete the 25k. After that I have to again take it easy during the week, but try for a 30k training run on April 1st. From there on, the last two weeks before the marathon I should not be doing any serious training any more.

Getting all pretty real now...

No comments: