Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Sunday 25 March 2007

DONE!

Weight: 75 kilos
Time spent running since 15 November: 58 hours 39 minutes
Distance run since 15 November: 537.9 kilometers
Time left: 21 days

So... The Race, as the organisers call it. 25 kilometers, at least two-thirds of them through forests and fields and including many mud tracks. With devilish steep climbs; the one after 17 kilometers killed my stride completely and forced me to walk a fair bit before resuming my running.

The good newses are that A. I made it and B. I made it in a time 7 minutes faster than my target. 2 hours 38 minutes and 20 or so seconds. That is an average of 6 minutes 20 per kilometer; at the marathon I can afford an average of 7 minutes per kilometer.

So it looks good then? I'm not really convinced, seeing the difficulty I had between kilometers 17 and 25 (well, 23: the last two are never hard). Rotterdam is 17 kilometers longer...

I will take it easy during he week; my body needs time to recover. On Sunday I'll go for a long training run; from there on I'll have to scale down in order to be in the best shape I can be on 15 April.

Oh yes, I did not even finish last... Heheh.

No comments: