Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Thursday 20 October 2011

Big set-back

It started with a sore neck on Monday. By tuesday, the pain had extended to my jaw and left ear, my lower neck was swollen and swallowing became a bit difficult. So I went to see my GP. Acute infection of the thyroid gland, he said. I have only seen this three or four times before. I was less enthusiastic than he was, particularly when my blood pressure proved very high (17 over 10). The doctor took two vials of blood and told me to stay at home for the rest of the week.

Can I still do sports, I asked. Nothing serious, he said. Maybe a one-kilometer walk in the mornings. A 1k walk??? Since when does that count as sports? Have I turned 95 or something without noticing?

I know this particular GP has a thing against exercise; he is more the soft yoga type. I'll obey him until the weekend, but I'm determined to go for a one-hour jog on Sunday. (Well, let's see what his colleague says when I see her on Friday night.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Soft yoga? Spoken like a man who has never done any yoga. Harumph.