Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Friday 17 October 2008

TWO MORE DAYS, OR NOT EVEN...

Last night I started my carb-loading programme (pasta with mushrooms). At work today, the lunch menu was pasta too: tagliatelle with a rather unidentifiable sauce. Finished off with a banana.

Tomorrow I will stretch my legs for half an hour in a gentle jog, after which the girls and I go to Wilfred's place for more pasta and a good glass of red wine.

Then, on Sunday I may have a last pasta bit for breakfast before heading to Amsterdam.

The weather should be nice: sunny, about 14 degrees Celsius, a moderate breeze. Lovely for the time of year and especially pleasant for the spectators. Also, Amsterdam looks even more gorgeous than usual when the sun is out. The Vondelpark will be heaven.

The marathon starts at 10:30, so I should be there no later than 9:00 for collecting my race number, changing into my gear, and just generally walk around nervously and getting all pumped up.

Then it's go. I hope to get into The Zone quickly enough. The rest is silence. Until it starts hurting like hell, but by that time is should have done the first 30 kilometers at least, and be close enough to the finish to struggle my way home.

Wish me luck. I'll need it.

1 comment:

Arbiter of taste said...

Good luck - it's going to be great and you will be even more so.