Diary of what followed after I finally succeeded in completing a marathon just in time, before my 50th birthday.

Monday 26 May 2008

NOT PRETTY

The last three races were all very hard. In Bruges I took three minutes longer than last year. In Gent, I took more than an hour for 10 kilometers. And the Brussels 20k was disastrous, with a time more than 10 minutes over last year's.

Explanations? All three were run on very hot days, and as it stayed cold for a long time this year I was not really prepared for that. But the main thing is that I have trained less long distances than last year.

So here's the drill for the coming two months: run 30-40 minutes twice a week, over one hour once every week, and build up to two-and-a-half hour runs in the weekends, alternated with races every three-four weeks. Then, from the last week of July onward, I will have tom rigidly follow a twelve-weeks preparation course for the marathon.

I have the ambition, I have the schedules. Now I need the determination and stamina.

No comments: